Your blog isn’t just for SEO. Get more clients through your blog and social media posts by using these 2 simple post types.
(Also – I’m considering a part 2 where I show you how to promote your blog posts and drive traffic.
If you want to see that part 2 – make sure you leave a comment when you’re done reading and let me know!)
💔 Falling out of love with your clients? Trade some of your worst clients for the best companies in the world with SolidGigs, our premium weekly freelance job list & course library. Love your business again. Learn more »
Let’s dive right in:
1) The “Here’s How” Tutorial
My best presentations that get the best audience reaction and result in the most clients generated afterward have one thing in common…
I give it all away.
In copywriting presentations I’ve literally walked through my start-to-finish process that anyone could do themselves.
Enter your email. Grow your business.
Submit your email below and join 45,000+ creatives who get our most helpful content via email every week. 100% free. Unsubscribe anytime. Privacy protected.
And yet — oddly enough — no one ever does.
Instead, they hunt me down afterward and say, “Hey, can you do that for me?”
A lot of people think if they give away their secrets – then they won’t get any clients.
They think those “secrets” are the only thing between them and failure.
But let’s think for a moment how ridiculous that is with a simple question:
If your favorite restaurant showed you exactly how they cook your favorite dish…
Would you still eat there?
Wait, you would!? But why? They gave away their “secrets!”
See – if anything – this has the opposite effect.
When you see the care that goes into making the dish… when you learn about how they source the freshest ingredients in town… when you see the chef cracking jokes and you like her even more…
It makes you want to give them even more business.
So, hands down, one of the most powerful pieces of blog / social content in general are pieces where you show exactly how you perform your best work.
Some examples of “Here’s How” posts:
- How to set up a client-generating Facebook campaign for your chiropractic business
- How to design a real estate landing page that generates high-quality leads
- How to create a beautiful logo that instantly sets you apart
2) The “Here’s How I Did it… for Them” Tutorial
While the “Here’s How” approach is incredibly powerful…
There’s one approach that’s even stronger:
The “Here’s How I Did it for Them” approach.
That’s where you take the “Here’s How” approach… but show how you did it for a specific client… and discuss the results generated.
Basically: It’s a case study on steroids.
Since it’s presented as a “Here’s How” piece of content – people are very engaged as they’re trying to learn… it’s not just a “sales pitch.”
But the fact that it’s all about a real client with real results adds in an element of social proof that shows:
A) You can get results for people
B) Other people like them trust you with their marketing
C) You’re an expert who knows your stuff
While the “Here’s How” approach is great – it’s still hypothetical.
Meanwhile, this approach is grounded in reality. You’re showing that it works in real life – not just in theory.
Some examples of “Here’s How I Did it For Them” posts:
- How we generated 10 new clients in 10 days for Schultz Chiropractic Clinic
- How we generated 100+ quality leads in a weekend for Time Tech Realty Group
- How we created a beautiful logo for C.C.’s Diner that instantly set them apart and attracted a higher-quality clientele
End your “Here’s How” posts with this…
Whenever you do any iteration of the “Here’s How” approach…
End in a call-to-action.
If you do it right and really give away the farm and give really juicy, actionable info…
People will already want to work with you.
So end the post in a call-to-action that makes it really easy for them to get started.
- If you’re doing a tutorial about web design… end in a call to action such as: “Want to see how this would work for your business? Click here to schedule a FREE 15 min. consult with me and I’ll show you how”
- If you’re doing a tutorial about Facebook ads… you can say: “I’m looking to generate more case studies like this. Want me to run your Facebook ads for FREE for 1 week? Click here to schedule a free 15 min. strategy call to see if this is a good fit”
And so on and so forth.
Basically – you take whatever you just taught them how to do, and ask, “Want to see how this could work for your business – for FREE?”
Quick checklist for max success:
- Don’t hold back. Everything you hold back kills your chances to generate clients.
- Make the content so good that someone really could follow in your footsteps if they wanted to.
- Video walkthroughs work great for this in the form of screenshares.
- Include screenshots and examples of how it could work in multiple industries. (Unless you’re industry-specific – then stick to that industry.)
- Break down the psychology of “why” you do each step. That’s where you really let your expertise shine.
- If you’re doing video – smile! Have fun. Let people like you.
The next step is promoting your content…
But that’s another discussion for another day.
Would you want a follow-up post where I show you how to do that?
Leave a comment below and let me know! If enough people want it, I’ll deliver.
Keep the conversation going...
Over 5,000 of us are having daily conversations over in our free Facebook group and we'd love to see you there. Join us!