“Get X clients per month,” or “Make $X this year,” or “Take a vacation to…” are super-common goals freelancers and agencies make all the time.
While those are great — and I make those too — they’re only the START of goals that lead you to growing and crushing the new year.
Let’s talk about how to set some goals that will REALLY help you take off in 2016.
Cool? Then here we go.
💔 Falling out of love with your clients? Trade some of your worst clients for the best companies in the world with SolidGigs, our premium weekly freelance job list & course library. Love your business again. Learn more »
The art of the “sub-goal”
The problem with a goal like “Get X new clients per month” is that if it were that simple – you’d already be doing it, right?
So the big, gaping hole in this goal is the “how” of it.
- How will you get more clients?
- What will you do differently?
So let’s set aside “Get X new clients per month” as our main goal, and create some SUB-GOALS to back it up.
Get X new clients per month:
- Ditch the networking groups that haven’t given me anything, focus more on the ones that have, and try out new ones to replace the ones I let go of
- Interview my clients to find out what about my services really appeals to them
- Update my website to reflect what I learned
- Spend $X per month advertising on Google & Facebook
- Reach out to 3 complimentary businesses every week to set up referral networks
Wow! That’s a freakin’ to-do list, huh?
But let’s not stop there. Let’s set goals like this for every important part of our business.
Enter your email. Grow your business.
Submit your email below and join 45,000+ creatives who get our most helpful content via email every week. 100% free. Unsubscribe anytime. Privacy protected.
Keep clients longer and encourage them to buy more services, more often:
- Create new products they need that I currently do not offer
- Make every client smile in every interaction we have
- Make my clients feel appreciated and loved by being super-friendly and enthusiastic in our emails and calls
- Create “funnels” of products that lead one into the other, for example: Website > Stationery to Support > Brochure and offer each service at the time of sale or upon completion of one said service
- Make my clients laugh more
Raise my prices:
- Get education and guidance to becoming a BETTER designer who’s worth more money
- Pack more value into every piece of marketing I do by finding ways to make them more powerful and relevant (i.e. optimize websites for conversions, make them responsive, team up with a local copywriter to pack brochures with great copy, etc.)
Go through this for EVERY part of your business you want to make better.
Hopefully, that’ll be every part of it!
In fact: I want you to do this RIGHT NOW!
Leave me a comment now with 1 goal and 3 supporting sub-goals. Cool?
See you in the comments 🙂 Let’s crush 2016.
Keep the conversation going...
Over 5,000 of us are having daily conversations over in our free Facebook group and we'd love to see you there. Join us!