Sure there are the obvious design topics to talk about, but what can you do after you’ve used up all your best design blog ideas and you still need more?
That’s why, today, I’m sharing this giant list of design topics. I hope it will come in handy for you now and in the future—anytime you’re not sure what to write about. I suggest you bookmark it to come back regularly any time you need fresh new graphic design blog topics.
The list is broken up into a few different categories of various design topics, which you can navigate using the table of contents below:
Graphic design topics:
Of all the design topics, the most frequently requested segment we get is for graphic design blog ideas.
We’ll start here with some of our best graphic design blog topics to talk about on your blog:
- How to [accomplish task] in Adobe Illustrator (eg. trace an image, blend two shapes, etc.)
- How to use the [tool of choice] in Adobe Photoshop (eg. selection tool, pen tool, etc.)
- How much does a graphic designer make?
- What does a graphic designer do every day?
- # Sites for graphic design inspiration
- How to get hired as a graphic designer
- Where can I find graphic design jobs?
- Which graphic design schools are best?
- # Attributes of successful graphic designers
- Why you should become a graphic designer
- Where can I work as a graphic designer?
- Who are some famous graphic designers?
- # Places to learn graphic design skills online
Freelance design topics
Of course, not all designers will choose to attend college and then get an agency or corporate job. Some will choose to become a freelance designer and build their own business.
Need more freelance jobs?
Enter your work email below and we'll send you 10 fresh freelance job leads from the last 48 hours along with some of our best content to help you get the jobs you deserve.
Here are some design topics you could write about related to the art of freelancing:
- How to send a graphic design proposal
- How to send a graphic design invoice
- Where to get freelance graphic design jobs
- How to start a successful freelance design business
- How to list freelance design work on your resume
- What makes a freelance design business profitable
- Who could be my first freelance design clients?
- # Reasons you should become a freelance designer
- How to freelance design on the side of your day job
- How much does a freelance designer make?
- # Tips for succeeding as a freelance designer
Web design topic ideas:
Closely related to graphic design topics to talk about on your design blog are web design topics. Where graphic design topics discuss the visual nature of design, web design blog topics are more related to converting graphic design to coded, online media.
Here are a few web design blog topics to get you started:
- How to convert a Photoshop design to HTML and CSS
- What makes a good one-page website design?
- # One-page HTML templates for quick web design
- Where can I find web design jobs?
- How do I get my first web design clients?
- Is it hard to become a web designer?
- How much do web designers make?
- # Famous web designers to learn from
- Which schools offer web design education programs?
- Teaching yourself web design vs. Getting a formal web design education
- # Steps to design your first website
Print design topics to talk about:
Where web design topics relate to utilizing graphic design in online settings, print design topics relate to ensuring your graphic design is prepared and ready for physical application such as printed marketing material, product labeling, or magazine/layout design.
Here are some print design topics to get you started:
- # Tips for prepping graphic design files for print application
- What’s the difference between RGB and CMYK?
- The # best file types to send to printers
- How to set proper bleeds on your full-bleed print projects
- The # biggest differences between print design and web design
- Is print design dying?
- The # best tools for high-quality print design
- Where can I learn high-quality print design lessons online?
- Do print designers also need to learn web design?
- How much does a print designer make?
- # Places to find print design clients
Logo design topics
In addition to web design topics and print design topics, you may want to blog about logo design topics on your blog or elsewhere.
Logo design is unlike other types of graphic design because it involves entirely different design methods and requires an understanding of branding and identity.
- How to design your first logo in Adobe Illustrator
- How much should you charge for a logo design?
- What makes a good logo?
- What makes a terrible logo?
- Who will hire me to design their logo?
- How to get a logo design client with little (or no) experience
- How much should I charge for a logo?
- Which questions should I ask before designing a logo?
- How many options should I send when designing a logo?
- Why designing a good logo is harder than it looks
- How long does it take to design a logo?
- Who will hire me to design a new logo?
- How to tell a company they need a new logo
- # Perfect logos to inspire your next logo design project
Even more design topics to talk about
If the broken-out lists of design topics to talk about in this article still aren’t enough to get your ideas flowing, then here are even more design blog ideas to help you.
- How to use the pen tool in Photoshop
- How to make money as a designer
- Where to go to school when learning about design
- How to treat clients who treat you poorly
- How to manage design projects
- Great websites for design inspiration
- Attributes of successful designers
- How to create a logo in Illustrator
- How to design a web page using simple HTML and CSS
- Turning your static web site into a dynamic content management system
- How much to charge clients as a new designer
- How to create a style guide for your brand
- What to name your design business
- Common mistakes designers make
- How to find new clients
- How to finish projects on time
- What to do when you can’t find any design work
- When to work for free and when not to
- How much to charge for your design services
- How to build your first wordpress theme
- How to build your first web site
- How to run a successful small business
- Working with other designers
- How to design your own blog
- How to use CSS3 or HTML5
- Jquery tutorials
- Designing a facebook landing page
- Designing a user-friendly form
- Where to sell your designs online
- Where to find freelance design work online
- Design a twitter background you can be proud of
- How to get work done when working from home
- When to revamp your portfolio
- What to include in a good design portfolio
- How to solicit work from large companies
- What makes a good business logo
- Necessary elements of a great web site
- What to expect to pay for design services
- How long it should take to get a great logo
- How to choose colors and fonts that fit your brand
- Where to hire great designers
- The difference between static and dynamic web sites
- Logo design processes
- When to hire a full-time designer
- How design plays a part in your marketing efforts
- What makes a good designer/client relationship
- How to make your designer happy and get the results you want
- How to integrate your brand into all aspects of your company
- What makes a good facebook landing page?
- What makes a good landing page design?
- Common design mistakes businessmen make when it comes to web design
- How to give honest feedback without frustrating your designer
- When to redesign your website
- When to rebrand your company
- Why your company needs a new logo
- Statistical improvements for companies who have solid brands, logos, and design styles
- How to design for a particular target audience
Listen to your audience for more design topics
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from growing my own blog for over a decade, it’s that your readers can help you identify an endless supply of new design blog topics.
If you have exhausted this list of design topics and still need more design topics to talk about, comb through the comments of your blog or social accounts for more ideas.
With that little tip, you’ll never run out of design topics to talk about.
Keep the conversation going...
Over 5,000 of us are having daily conversations over in our free Facebook group and we'd love to see you there. Join us!