If you’re anything like me, you have good days and bad days when it comes to running your freelance business.
Some days, weeks, or months, business is booming, income is at a high, clients are calling, and you couldn’t be more pleased with your business.
But other days, you’ve hit rock bottom wondering where all the clients are hiding. You can’t seem to get motivated, you’re running out of cash, and everything seems bleak.
💔 Falling out of love with your clients? Trade some of your worst clients for the best companies in the world with SolidGigs, our premium weekly freelance job list & course library. Love your business again. Learn more »
If you’re going through a lower-than-you’d-like moment right now in your freelance business, never fear!
Today, I’ll share with you 14 ways to jumpstart your freelance business before the sun goes down. Many of these suggestions link to other content here at Millo and around the web. Be sure to click through and learn more on each subject. If I left something important out, you know I’m always open to additions in the comments.
A jumpstart for your freelance business
This list will give you a good idea of tasks to start on today. Tackle a few today, a few more tomorrow, and soon you’ll see your freelance business start booming.
- Follow up with all past clients (that you have a good relationship with) and see if they have need for more projects.
- Network with other freelancers. Partnering with other freelancers who have skills you lack can be a great growth opportunity.
- Write a small marketing plan. In a study done recently among freelancers, marketing receives the least amount of time from freelancers each week. But taking time to write a small marketing plan today can pay off big in the future!
- If you’re new to freelancing, try searching all the best freelancing websites for fresh new gigs.
- Update your portfolio with only your best work. (Before redesigning your portfolio, read this.)
- Find a freelancing mentor who can offer advice on your business, your clients, and more. Sometimes an outsider’s opinion can make a huge difference.
- Read The $100 Startup and do everything Chris Guillebeau teaches you.
- Set up a few streams of passive income that will bring you money whether or not you have a lot of clients.
- Set goals and make plans to reach those goals. If you don’t know where you want to be tomorrow, how do you know what to do today?
- Diversify your income. Stop relying solely on a handful of clients and broaden your horizons. That’s my secret to steady income as a freelancer.
- Think BIG.
- Subscribe to this blog. (Ok, it’s self-serving, but I genuinely feel like you can benefit from the posts we offer here. Your call.)
- Adjust your pricing to get the best conversion rate out of your clients.
- Practice your elevator pitch and be prepared when strangers ask what you do for a living.
How are you going to build your freelance business before the sun goes down today? Leave a comment and tell me which one you choose (or one I left out).
Enter your email. Grow your business.
Submit your email below and join 45,000+ creatives who get our most helpful content via email every week. 100% free. Unsubscribe anytime. Privacy protected.
Keep the conversation going...
Over 5,000 of us are having daily conversations over in our free Facebook group and we'd love to see you there. Join us!